Below are the basic steps to be followed for SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013 migration. These are very basic steps. I will explain in detail in next post. But that explain based on below points.
1. Make 2010 SharePoint application as read only to freeze content changes.
The main intention of freezing the content is, the migration process might take little longer. If we allow content authors to add or alter the content then we never going to get the backup of the content. It might cause data loss with old data backup. So mitigate this issue application should make it as read only.
2. Delete all PowerPointBroadCast template based sites and sub sites. These templates are completely removed from 2013.
3. Take content back up of existing farm. Then run cleanup of data base for orphans on existing 2010 farm. While cleaning make sure that you were collecting all data points and also make sure that you were deleting all closed web parts.
4. Test 2010 application and make sure that nothing is break. If everything is working then take the data base backup for 2013 upgrade and you can ignore previous data base backup.
5. Take backup of SharePoint service application which are base for your application like Manage MetaData, BCS, User Profile etc.
6. Create a new web application on the same farm (2010) and restore your back up content.
The purpose of creating a new web application on the same farm and restoring back up is to verify the backup file is working properly. If we skip this step and any functionality is failing after migration then it’s very difficult to troubleshoot the issue. It takes lot of effort to identify content related issues.
7. Verify your new web application is up and running with backup content.
8. Create 2013 farm and restore user profile service and make sure that all user profiles are working without any issue.
9. Delete existing services like Manage Metadata, BCS from existing farm and create new service application with 2010 service application’s data base backups.
10. Create 2013 Web Application similar to 2010 application. Don’t create any site collections and sites within.
11. Deploy all custom features on new farm and activate all web application and farm scope features.
12. Restore 2010 content data base on new 2013 farm using power shell (best practice). All sites collections will be created with 2010 content.